Sony World Photography Awards 2013 - Youth Award
- Entry Start:
- Entry Close:
We are searching for the next generation of talented young photographers in this competition, open to anyone 19 and under.
Whether you are studying photography in school or college, or just have a passion for taking photographs of your daily life, enter this competition for the chance to become the Sony World Photography Awards, Youth Award Winner.
There are three great categories available to enter that will allow you to illustrate your blossoming photographic talent; Culture, Environment and People.
Basic Members can enter up to 3 images into one category or across all categories.
Advanced Members can enter up to 8 images into one category or across all categories.
Premium Members can enter up to 20 images into one category or across all categories.
Please note, once you have entered this competition you will not be able to enter the Open or Professional competitions.
The Sony World Photography Awards support Pro-Imaging in order to protect the image rights of photographers.
1.1 By entering the Competition You hereby accept these Competition Rules and the Terms and Conditions.
1.2 .1 The Competition is free to enter.
1.2.2 The Youth Award competition is open to anyone aged 19 and under.
1.2.3 Entrants must be aged 19 and under on the competition closing date.
1.3 Entries must be submitted by 11.59:59pm (GMT) on Friday 4th January 2013.
2. To enter, you must upload your image via the following website: www.worldphoto.org (the "Website"), following the on-screen instructions carefully.
2.1 Images must be taken in 2012 and entries should be based on the Categories outlined, information on which can be found on the Website.
3.1 Entries will be judged between the 9th January 2013 and the 31st January 2013.
3.2 A shortlist of up to ten photographers from each category will be selected and announced prior to the Gala Ceremony and the overall winners will be announced during the Ceremony in April 2013.
3.3 The individual category winners and the winner of the Sony World Photography Awards, Youth Award winner will be chosen by a judging panel selected by the WPO. The overall winner of the Sony World Photography Awards, Youth Award winner will be notified by email and will receive return flights to London (economy class) and hotel accommodation, for two consecutive nights including the night of Awards presentation in London in April 2013.
3.4 The decision of the WPO is final and no negotiation will be entered into with respect to any such decision.
3.5 Each entrant can submit up to three images for free. The images entered can be entered in different categories or all images can be entered into a single category. Judging will be based on the single image and not the series of images.
4.1 WPO reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify and remove any entry that does not comply with the following requirements, even after the entry is submitted on the Website. You warrant and represent, in respect of each entry submitted by You (“Entry”), as follows:
4.1.1 You are the sole owner and author of each Entry
4.1.2 You have the right to make Your entry available to the Competition
4.1.3 Each Entry does not contain personally identifiable information about You or any other person(s)
4.1.4 Each Entry does not contain any infringing, threatening, false, misleading, abusive, harassing, libellous, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, scandalous, inflammatory, pornographic or profane content
4.1.5 Each Entry does not contain any material that could constitute or encourage conduct which would be considered a criminal offence, give rise to civil liability, or otherwise violate any law
4.1.6 Each Entry does not infringe upon the copyrights, trademarks, contract rights, or any other intellectual property rights of any third person or entity, or violate any person’s rights of privacy or publicity, and Your Entry does not include:
220.127.116.11 trademarks owned by third parties
18.104.22.168 copyrighted materials owned by third parties (including movie dialogue or musical compositions)
22.214.171.124 names, likenesses, voices or other characteristics identifying celebrities or other public figures, living or dead
4.1.7 Entries which contain any commercial content that promotes any product or service other than that of WPO.
4.1.8 Entries containing screen credits
4.2 You agree to fully indemnify WPO in respect of all royalties, fees and any other monies owing to any person by reason of Your breaching any of the foregoing.
4.3 You confirm that each person depicted in the Entry has granted permission to be portrayed as shown. Any costumes, props or other materials used must be rented or borrowed with the permission of the owner, and all other relevant permissions must have been obtained.
5.1 If you are under 16, You have Your parent’s or legal guardian’s consent to participate in the Competition.
5.2 If WPO does not receive a valid signed parental or legal guardian consent form for any winner under the age of 16 within 7 clear days of the contestant being declared a winner (excluding the day on which such declaration is made by WPO) WPO will be entitled to select an alternative winner from among the contestants.
6 WPO may run an online rating process whereby members of the public may vote for a favourite photograph. If there is sufficient evidence (in WPO’s sole discretion) to suggest malpractice and manipulation of the rating process, then WPO has the right to remove the relevant Entry or Entries and, if necessary, award the prize to a different contestant. WPO’s decisions are final.
7.1 WPO recognizes you, the author of the image, retain full ownership of the copyright in each Entry.
7.2 All entrants understand that any image submitted to the competition may be used by WPO, and its Event Partners, for marketing and promotional purposes of the event only, for a maximum of three years after the awards ceremony in April 2013. You hereby grant WPO a non-exclusive, irrevocable licence in each Entry throughout the world for three years in all media for any use connected to the promotion of the SWPA event and/or competition, including, but not limited too:
(a) judging the Competition
(b) displaying the winning entries and runners up at public exhibitions promoting WPO and organised by WPO
(c) inclusion within the Website, a World Photography Awards book, magazine or similar
(d) inclusion within any materials promoting of the Competition and / or any exhibition organised by WPO, in the promotion of the WPO
(e) inclusion on Competition- and exhibition-related products to be sold by the WPO or any third party following the individual agreement by the author
(f) sub-licencing the Entries to the press for reproduction in connection with the Competition and any exhibition
(g) allowing viewers of the Website to view images on a computer screen, PDA or mobile telephone and store such pages in electronic form on disk or on a PDA or mobile telephone (but not on any server or other storage device connected to a network) for their personal, non-commercial use only. Please also refer to clause 9.
8. Any photograph used by WPO shall carry a credit line. Any failure to provide such credit line shall not be deemed to be a breach, as long as WPO uses its reasonable endeavours to rectify such failure within a reasonable period from the date of notice of such failure.
9 You acknowledge that it is your responsibility for protecting any Entry against image misuse by any third party, for example, but not limited to the insertion of a watermark. WPO and its Event Partners assume no responsibility and are not liable for any image misuse.
10. WPO assumes no responsibility for any incorrect, inaccurate or incomplete information, whether caused by website users or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilised in the Competition, and WPO assumes no responsibility for technical, hardware or software failure of any kind, for lost network connections, garbled computer transmissions, other problems or technical malfunctions with regard to the Competition. WPO assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, corruption, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to or alteration of Entries. WPO is not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer on-line systems, servers, computer equipment, software, failure of any e-mail addressed to WPO on account of technical problems, human error or traffic congestion on the internet or any website, or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to Your or any other person's computer related to or resulting from participation or downloading any materials in the Competition. If for any reason a contestant’s entry cannot be viewed or is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer viruses, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud or technical failures, WPO assumes no responsibility.
11. In no event will WPO, its parents, affiliates, subsidiaries and related companies, Event Partners, its advertising or promotion agencies, or its officers, directors, employees, shareholders, representatives or agents be responsible or liable for any damages or losses of any kind, including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, special or punitive damages arising out of any contestant’s access to and use of the Website. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, everything on the Website is provided "as is", without warranty of any kind, either express or implied, including but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for purpose or use or non-infringement.
12. You agree to participate in related publicity and to the use of your name and likeness for the purposes of advertising, promotion and publicity without additional compensation.
13. All entrants must be able to supply a high resolution image suitable for printing in media and an exhibition should the image be required.
14. There are no cash alternatives available for prize winners.
15. Winners will be announced online.
Promoter: World Photography Awards Limited, 9 Manchester Square, London.
Sahil Lodha, India, Youth Shortlist, Culture, Sony World Photography Awards 2012
What does culture mean to you? Take a photograph that depicts your take on culture; it could be your local youth culture and social gatherings, a culture you have immersed yourself in whilst travelling, traditions amongst a tight-knit community or large-scale cultural gatherings such as festivals.
Bernard Pieterse, South Africa, Youth Winner, Environment, Sony World Photography Awards 2012
Capture your local environment through a photograph; perhaps you want to illustrate the naturally beautiful qualities of your environment, or highlight an issue which is having a negative effect on it.
Karina Sembe, Ukraine, Overall Youth Winner, Winner Portraits, Sony World Photography Awards 2012
Find inspiration in the faces of people around you and take a portrait that communicates a story about your subject. Look for expressions and passing glances that might otherwise go unnoticed and push the boundaries of what can be achieved within a portrait, the most traditional of photographic styles.