- Entry Start:
- Entry Close:
Pick up your phone or camera and send the World Photography Organisation (WPO) your favourite snaps of the great British winter. My UK, a new photography competition from WPO in partnership with Sony UK and Metro newspaper, is now open for entries and asks a simple question – what does the great British winter look like to you?
Snappers from across Great Britain have until 11 March to enter up to three of their favourite pics for free here via WPO. The judges are looking for the perfect snapshot to sum up this unique British season in all its glory – whether it is a photo of a frozen landscape, a delayed train or simply footprints in the snow. The recent cold weather should definitely provide inspiration!
One photograph from each of the 12 UK regions plus three judges favourites from anywhere in the UK will be shortlisted by Metro's Picture Editor, Alan Sparrow, and WPO’s Creative Director, Astrid Merget. The 15 finalist photographs will be included in the prestigious 2013 Sony World Photography Awards Exhibition at Somerset House, London from 26 April – 12 May. Finalist images will also be published on the Metro and World Photography Organisation websites.
Metro readers will then be given control and will choose the winner from the finalists via an online vote. The winning photographer will be announced on Monday 22 April and will receive a 40 inch 3D Sony TV.
Three Metro voters will be chosen at random to win one of the following: a Sony camera, two tickets to the Sony World Photography Awards Gala Ceremony on 25 April or two tickets to attend the 2013 Sony World Photography Awards Exhibition at Somerset House, London.
1.1 By entering the Competition You hereby accept these Competition Rules and the Terms and Conditions.
1.2.1 The Competition is free to enter.
1.2.2 'My UK' is open to all residents of the United Kingdom.
1.2.3 Photographers may enter only one category and should enter the category for the region in which they live.
1.3 Entries must be submitted by 11.59:59pm (GMT) on 11th March 2013.
2. To enter, You must upload Your image via the following website: www.worldphoto.org (the "Website"), following the on-screen instructions carefully.
3.1 'My UK' will be judged by Alan Sparrow (Metro) and Astrid Merget (WPO), who will decide a shortlist of 15 images- one from each of the 12 UK regions plus 3 judges favourites from anywhere in the UK.
3.2 The decision of the judges is final and no negotiation will be entered into with respect to any such decision.
3.3 Each entrant can submit one image for free.
3.4 The shortlist will be made public to WPO and Metro followers online and in print. Metro readers will then be invited to select the overall winner by liking their favourite image on the WPO website. The image that receives the most 'likes' will be the overall winner.
3.5 The community judging period will be open from 25th March 2013 until 17th April 2013.
4.1 WPO reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify and remove any entry that does not comply with the following requirements, even after the entry is submitted on the Website. You warrant and represent, in respect of each entry submitted by You (“Entry”), as follows:
4.1.1 You are the sole owner and author of each Entry
4.1.2 You have the right to make Your entry available to the Competition
4.1.3 Each Entry does not contain personally identifiable information about You or any other person(s)
4.1.4 Each Entry does not contain any infringing, threatening, false, misleading, abusive, harassing, libelous, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, scandalous, inflammatory, pornographic or profane content
4.1.5 Each Entry does not contain any material that could constitute or encourage conduct which would be considered a criminal offence, give rise to civil liability, or otherwise violate any law
4.1.6 Each Entry does not infringe upon the copyrights, trademarks, contract rights, or any other intellectual property rights of any third person or entity, or violate any person’s rights of privacy or publicity, and Your Entry does not include:
184.108.40.206 trademarks owned by third parties
220.127.116.11 copyrighted materials owned by third parties (including movie dialogue or musical compositions)
18.104.22.168 names, likenesses, voices or other characteristics identifying celebrities or other public figures, living or dead
4.1.7 Entries which contain any commercial content that promotes any product or service other than that of WPO.
4.1.8 Entries containing screen credits
4.2 You agree to fully indemnify WPO in respect of all royalties, fees and any other monies owing to any person by reason of Your breaching any of the foregoing.
4.3 You confirm that each person depicted in the Entry has granted permission to be portrayed as shown. Any costumes, props or other materials used must be rented or borrowed with the permission of the owner, and all other relevant permissions must have been obtained.
5.1 If You are under 16, You have Your parent’s or legal guardian’s consent to participate in the Competition.
5.2 If WPO does not receive a valid signed parental or legal guardian consent form for any winner under the age of 16 within 7 clear days of the contestant being declared a winner (excluding the day on which such declaration is made by WPO) WPO will be entitled to select an alternative winner from among the contestants.
6. WPO may run an online rating process whereby members of the public may vote for a favorite photograph. If there is sufficient evidence (in WPO’s sole discretion) to suggest malpractice and manipulation of the rating process, then WPO has the right to remove the relevant Entry or Entries and, if necessary, award the prize to a different contestant. WPO’s decisions are final.
7.1 WPO recognises You, the author of the image, retain full ownership of the copyright in each Entry.
7.2 All entrants understand that any image submitted to the competition may be used by WPO, and its Official Partners, for marketing and promotional purposes of the MY UK Competition, WPO and the World Photo London event only, for a maximum of three years after the Competition closing date. You hereby grant WPO, and its Official Partners, a non-exclusive, irrevocable licence in each Entry throughout the world for three years in all media for any use connected to the promotion of the SWPA event and/or MY UK competition, including, but not limited too:
(a) judging the Competition
(b) displaying the winning entries and runners up at public exhibitions promoting WPO and My UK and organised by WPO
(c) inclusion within the Website, a World Photography Awards book, magazine or similar
(d) inclusion within any materials promoting of the Competition and / or any exhibition organised by WPO, in the promotion of the WPO and My UK Competition
(e) inclusion on Competition- and exhibition-related products to be sold by the WPO or any third party following the individual agreement by the author
(f) sub-licencing the Entries to the press for reproduction in connection with the Competition and any exhibition
(g) allowing viewers of the Website to view images on a computer screen, PDA or mobile telephone and store such pages in electronic form on disk or on a PDA or mobile telephone (but not on any server or other storage device connected to a network) for their personal, non-commercial use only. Please also refer to clause 9.
8. Any photograph used by WPO and its Official Partners shall carry a credit line to promote the competition as set out in clause 7.2 (c) above. Any failure to provide such credit line shall not be deemed to be a breach, as long as WPO uses its reasonable endeavours to rectify such failure within a reasonable period from the date of notice of such failure.
9 You acknowledge that it is Your responsibility for protecting any Entry against image misuse by any third party, for example, but not limited to the insertion of a watermark. WPO and its Event Partners assume no responsibility and are not liable for any image misuse.
10. WPO assumes no responsibility for any incorrect, inaccurate or incomplete information, whether caused by website users or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilised in the Competition, and WPO assumes no responsibility for technical, hardware or software failure of any kind, for lost network connections, garbled computer transmissions, other problems or technical malfunctions with regard to the Competition. WPO assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, corruption, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to or alteration of Entries. WPO is not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer on-line systems, servers, computer equipment, software, failure of any e-mail addressed to WPO on account of technical problems, human error or traffic congestion on the internet or any website, or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to Your or any other person's computer related to or resulting from participation or downloading any materials in the Competition. If for any reason a contestant’s entry cannot be viewed or is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer viruses, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud or technical failures, WPO assumes no responsibility.
11. In no event will WPO, its parents, affiliates, subsidiaries and related companies, Event Partners, its advertising or promotion agencies, or its officers, directors, employees, shareholders, representatives or agents be responsible or liable for any damages or losses of any kind, including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, special or punitive damages arising out of any contestant’s access to and use of the Website. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, everything on the Website is provided "as is", without warranty of any kind, either express or implied, including but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for purpose or use or non-infringement.
12. You agree to participate in related publicity and to the use of Your name and likeness for the purposes of advertising, promotion and publicity without additional compensation.
13. All entrants must be able to supply a high resolution image suitable for printing in media and an exhibition should the image be required.
14. There are no cash alternatives available for prize winners.
14.1 If a chosen winner is already an Advanced Member of the World Photography Organisation there will be no alternative prize. Any said winner may nominate someone to receive the Advanced Membership instead.
15. Winners will be announced online.
Promoter: World Photography Awards Limited, 9 Manchester Square, London. 2012
Tower of London by akerele